Grilling season may be coming to an end, but it doesn’t mean the flavors of grilled meat need to end as well. A reverse sear on filets with Calicutts Montreal or Fine Montreal Spice Blend will lock in all of the flavors to these tender steaks. Serve with our herb compound butter for that touch of freshness.
Montreal Steak with Herb Compound Butter
- 4 6-8oz Filet mignon steaks
Calicutts Fine Montreal or Montreal Spice Blend, to taste
- ½ C Unsalted butter, softened
¼ Cup Calicutts Herbs Blend
- 1 Shallot, minced
- 1 Garlic clove, minced
1 tsp Calicutts Salt & Pepper
For the Filet Mignon
For the Herb Butter
- Season both sides of each steak with Calicutts Fine Montreal or regular Montreal, to taste. Place on a wire rack over a baking sheet and let sit at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- While the steaks are going through their dry brine, make the herb compound butter. Place all ingredients in a food processor and process until smooth. Spoon onto a piece of plastic wrap and roll into a log shape. Place in refrigerator until firm.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Transfer your baking sheet with the steaks to oven. Cook in oven until internal temperature reaches your desired level of being done. Remove from oven.
- Preheat a cast-iron skillet over high heat for 5 minutes while the steaks rest. Pat the steaks completely dry and place carefully in the hot skillet. Cook for 45 seconds. Flip and place a pat of garlic herb compound butter on top of each filet and cook another 45 seconds. Repeat this process until the steaks are a rich brown color. Press the sides of the filet up against the sides of the cast iron skillet briefly until no longer red or pink.
- Remove steaks from skillet and serve with more garlic herb compound butter.