To be clear, this is a chicken pie recipe, not a chicken pot pie recipe. We have this debate all the time. This delicious filling full of leftover roasted chicken (you can also sub turkey), frozen veggies, and Calicutts Rotisserie Blend provides all the comfort meal vibes with little work. Simply assemble and put it in the oven for a great family meal.
Rotisserie Chicken Pie
- 2 1/2 C All-purpose flour
- 1 C Unsalted butter, very cold and cubed
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Sugar
- 8-12 Tbsp Water, ice cold
- 3 C Roasted Chicken or Rotisserie Chicken, removed from the bone and shredded
- 3 C Mixed veggies (carrots, peas, and corn), frozen
- 1/3 C Unsalted butter
- 1/2 Yellow onion, minced
- 1 Celery stalk, sliced
- 2 Garlic cloves, minced
- 1/3 C All-purpose flour
1 Tbsp Calicutts Rotisserie Spice Blend
- 1 3/4 C Chicken broth
- 2/3 C Whole milk
- 1 Egg
- 1 tsp Water
For the crust (or use store bought crust)
For the filling
For the egg wash
Make the Crust
- Place the flour, sugar and salt into a bowl and mix well. Add the butter and mix with your fingers in a snapping motion until the butter is pea sized.
- Add the ice water a few tablespoons at a time while stirring with a fork until the dough is just coming together but is still crumbly. It is ready when it holds after squeezing the dough in your hands. Smash the dough together completely and separate into two balls.
- Wrap in plastic wrap and rest in the fridge for about an hour. Remove one ball from refrigerator and allow to sit out for a few minutes.
Roll out the half removed from the refrigerator, and place into the pie plate. Set pie plate in the fridge.
Make the filling:
Preheat oven to 425.
- Stir together the chicken and veggies in a bowl. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, add the butter. Once melted, add the onions, celery and garlic. Cook until translucent, about 3 minutes, and then add in flour and Calicutts Rotisserie Spice Blend. Cook, stirring continuously for 30 seconds. Slowly add the broth and milk, stirring frequently until thick and remove from heat. Stir in the chicken and veggies mixture and then pour into a pie dish that you had placed in the fridge.
- Roll out the remaining pie crust and place over the top. Pinch the edges shut and cut slits in the top of the pie. Whisk together the egg and the water for the egg wash and brush it all over the top crust.
Bake for 30 minutes or until golden brown. Allow to cool slightly and serve!