Blackberry Lemon Lavender Bars
4 oz Butter, melted and slightly cooled
1/4 C Calicutts Vanilla Bean Sugar Blend
- 1 C All purpose flour
- Pinch of sea salt
- 1 Egg white
- 8oz Blackberries
- 1/4 C + 3 Tbsp Calicutts Lemon Lavender Sugar Blend, divided
- 1/2 C Sugar, granulated, divided
- 2 Tbsp All purpose flour
- 2 lemons, juiced (1/4 C) and zested (2 tsp)
- 1/8 tsp Baking powder
- 1 Egg yolk, room temperature
For the Crust
For the Filling
- 1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees and line a 9 x 9 baking dish with foil.
- 2. Toss blackberries with 2 Tbsp granulated sugar and 1 Tbsp Lemon Lavender Sugar. Place in lined baking dish and bake for 20 minutes, stirring halfway through.
- 3. Reduce oven to 350 degrees. Lightly butter previously used pan and line with parchment and butter (lightly) paper.
- 4. With a stand mixer start the crust, cream together butter and sugar until fluffy. Add remaining crust ingredients until incorporated. Dough will be crumbly, but should stay together when pressed.
5. Place in bottom of baking dish, pressing evenly. Brush with egg white and bake for 20 minutes until lightly brown. Remove from oven.
- 6. While shortbread crust is baking, in a mixing bowl, whisk remaining sugar, flour, baking powder and lemon zest. When well mixed, add egg yolk and whisk until well incorporated. Whisk in lemon juice and 1/3 C of blackberry juice.
- 7. Pour over cooked shortbread and cook an additional 20-22 minutes until the center is just barely jiggling. Remove and let cool completely in the baking dish on a wire rack.
- 8. Refrigerate at least 2 hours, preferably overnight. Sprinkle with powder sugar, cut into 9 squares and serve.